Through 27 July, entries for the choreographic portion of MadeBy, a composition and choreography competition developed by OneMusic Australia and the Royal Academy of Dance (RAD) Australia, are open. So if you are thinking of entering and are looking for a little inspiration, here are some invaluable choreographic tips from some experts in the field.
Tips from Alice Topp, resident choreographer, The Australian Ballet
- Experiment, play, have fun, take risks. There’s no right or wrong in the creative process. Trust yourself and what feels right for you.
- Choreographer’s block is normal! If you get stuck on a step, give yourself some space and come back to it.
- Keep coming back to your story/narrative/inspiration. Keep reminding yourself of your vision, what you want to say and how to get that message across.
- Nerves and self-doubt are normal, and that’s okay. Have the courage to trust your voice, your vision and your self-expression.
- Don’t forget to have fun! What you’re doing is special. Enjoy the journey.
Tips from Gerard Charles, artistic director, RAD
- Listen to the music. Allow your mind the freedom to see what thoughts come to you. Take what is coming within you and allow it to flow into a piece that really reflects you.
- Don’t try to be like anyone else, but also, don’t be different just for the sake of it.
- Let your response to the music be honest. Allow it to grow and adjust as you see your dancers’ responses to the music and to your ideas as well.
MadeBy provides a $15,000 prize pool to Australian composers and choreographers as well as the valuable opportunity to collaborative together. Entries close July 27.